"A human doctor saves the individual, a veterinarian saves mankind"
- Louis Pasteur
The Pasteur Institute SN of Bucharest was founded in 1895, within the College for Veterinary Medicine under the name of the “Vaccine Virus Institute”. In 1905, within the College for Veterinary Medicine, the Department for serums and vaccines is founded, as the parent of the “Institute for Serums and Vaccines”, founded in 1909, under the law governing the College for Veterinary Medicine, thanks to the efforts of Prof. Paul Riegler, PhD (1867–1936), a remarkable scientist of the age and a collaborator of Prof. Victor Babes, PhD (1854-1926), and with the support of Prof. I. Cantacuzino, PhD (1863-1934).
The production of the smallpox vaccine, meant to immunize the human population, was the first task of the Institute. Then, starting with 1896, the production of tuberculin began and, starting with 1900, that of other biological products (the measles vaccine, the anthrax serum and vaccine, the ovine smallpox vaccine and smallpox serum, the tetanus vaccine and the Salmonella typhimurium cultures used in rodent control), as the Institute was, at the time, the third such Institute in Europe.
The Institute activity had an important contribution in maintaining the fighting power of the Romanian army during the wars in 1913 and 1916-1918. Alongside the Institute for Serums and Vaccines for human use (the future Cantacuzino Institute), it formed a single military body which took up residence in the laboratories of the Iasi Faculty of Medicine, and after 1918, for two months, in Harkov (Russia), continuing the production of hyperimmune serums required by the Romanian and Russia armies.
On 27 December 1921, marking the centenary of the birth of Louis Pasteur, the approval of the Legation of France in Bucharest and of the “Pasteur” Institute in Paris was requested and granted for the Bucharest Institute for Serums and Vaccines to bear the name of the great French scientist.
In 1924, the Pasteur Institute grows and begins operating in the current location, in the Giulesti district, Bucharest.
The diagnosis activity was extended and the regional veterinary laboratories that were subordinated to the Institute, alongside the laboratory diagnosis, also began producing certain vaccines for the needs of the influence area.
Following World War II, the Institute was attached to the Ministry of Agriculture, thus becoming the main technical body of the State veterinary authority.
By means of Decree 409 of 28 September 1949, the Institute was divided in two bodies, namely: the “Pasteur Institute for Serums and Vaccines” and the “Institute for Animal Hygiene and Pathology”, with the second one operating in the old location, on Splaiul Independentei, within the Bucharest Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, and being the first exclusive unit for veterinary scientific research in Romania.
In February 1962, the two institutes united, forming the “Pasteur Institute for Veterinary Research and Bioproducts”.
In 1991, by means of Government Decision no. 665, the “Pasteur Institute for Veterinary Research and Bioproducts” (ICVB Pasteur) was reorganized as an autonomous public entity, under the name of “Pasteur National Institute of Veterinary Medicine” R.A. (INMV Pasteur), and by means of Government Decision no. 638 of 25 September 1998, it was reorganized as the “Pasteur Institute National Company” („Societatea Nationala Institutul Pasteur”) S.A. (SNIP).
Throughout its history, the Pasteur Institute SN of Bucharest had a key contribution in eradicating certain epizootic diseases (ovine smallpox, dourine, glanders, brucellosis, aphtha) and in drastically reducing the incidence of other diseases (anthrax, tuberculosis, contagious ovine agalactia, swine fever, Newcastle disease, enzootic bovine leucosis, rabies, etc. .